The Best Chicken Enchiladas EVERApril 6, 2010 at 1:28 am | Posted in Chicken, Mexican food | 1 Comment
In a recent post I mentioned that I would be blogging about healthy things – and also some NOT so healthy things. This post goes under the NOT so healthy things but oh man. They are worth every single calorie in my book. We love Mexican food in our house and when my husband says that these are better than the enchiladas at our favorite Mexican restaurant, then I know they are great! Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of these last time I made them but I’ll post one once I make them again. Just trust me on this. You HAVE to try these!!!
Recipe from www.allrecipes.com
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken pieces are no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Shred chicken by placing two forks back to back and pulling meat apart. Set the shredded chicken aside. Meanwhile, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, half of the bunch of chopped green onion, and water. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder; simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir 1 cup of the soup mixture into the skillet with the chicken mixture. Spread the remaining soup mixture on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the chicken filling before folding the tortillas, reserving half of the shredded cheese for topping the enchiladas. Fold tortillas over the filling and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Cover with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the reserved chopped green onions and the sliced olives on top of the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
Pig Rating: As I said, the Pig loves these! He says they are better than our favorite Mexican restaurant and I would agree.
Mrs. Pig Rating: This is probably my favorite Mexican dish that I have made. Not something I will make often since they aren’t exactly healthy but for a special treat with a margarita on the side? Yes please!